Thursday, January 21, 2016

Visceral Response

Photo by Angileza Amodt

Here we have a photo of the Columbia river that separates the dense, lively vegetation in both
Washington (left) and Oregon (right). I was born in Vancouver, Washington, but moved to St. George, Utah at the age of 8. Much of my memory of growing up in Washington was our frequent trips across the border to Portland, and the towering evergreen trees that surrounded my hometown.

My Response
Since I moved away from Washington so young, the evergreen tree has become somewhat of an icon for innocence and childhood ideals. Living in southern Utah you don't see many trees like the evergreen, let alone huge patches of them spanning for miles and miles. When I see nature in this form, alive and prospering, I am rendered speechless for a moment and I am filled with great feelings of beauty and nostalgia. There is an innumerable amount of detail in each and everyone of those trees and plants, and to see it from the macro level is incredible to me.

Design
What impresses me the most is the sheer scale of this photo. You can see the tiny, man-made minuscule highway being dominated by naturally occurring everything else. Whereas everything natural in this photo just flows, the road stands out in its linear form.

I see the colors in this photo being naturally represented, as in, no colors are over or under saturated. As if you're seeing what you would see in person.
The green definitely stands out and says to me "I'm alive!". What you're seeing in this photo is living and breathing; it feels very lively and calming.

Though it is an extreme long shot, some light gives enough detail to distinguish and interpret certain textures in this photo. The calmness of the water appears smooth when placed next to the jagged trees. The clouds definitely capture the whitest whites of this photo and have a somewhat gradient aspect in grayer areas.

I really appreciate this photo. I feel like it could make a decent wallpaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment